Margaret's story

My journey started in 2012, though I didn’t know it at the time. I had an operation for Carpal Tunnel on my left hand and it left me with restricted movement in my hand. When I went for my follow check up I was told that it could stay like that!

In December 2013 I had a Melanoma removed from the lower part of my left leg. Shortly following this I started to drag my left leg and thought that this was due to the Melanoma. I went to the doctors and was told I had a balance problem and was sent to the physiotherapy department at the General Hospital. They gave me exercises to do which I did.

Then on Wednesday 28th May 2014 I had a seizure though at the time my husband and I thought it was a stroke. I was taken to the hospital and given a CT Scan and they found a ‘mass’ on my brain. I was kept in hospital and had an MRI Scan.

On the 10th June I was sent to Southampton for a meeting with the Consultant who told me that after seeing the scan I had a large Tumour and in his opinion I had had the Tumour for many years. He told me that he could remove it but couldn’t guarantee what state I would be in after. Though he said if I didn’t have it I would continue to get worse and could be dead in 6/12 months.

On the 24th June I went back to Southampton for the pre-op assessment, then on the 14th July I had the operation. When I came round I had lost the use of my left side and my core. 

On the 24th July I was flown back to Jersey and spent 2 days in the General before being moved to Samares Ward at Overdale Hospital. 

I then spent 4 months there and was given 2 physio sessions each week. We had monthly meetings to update myself and my family on what progress I was making. 

Then at a meeting held on 26th September we were told that they were not prepared to continue treatment as I was no longer making improvement. I was discharged from Samares Ward on the 5th November with a list of exercises to do and was told that if there was any improvement in some of the exercises then to contact the Physio Department.

Since I arrived home I regularly did all the exercises they gave me and after several months there was improvement so I was given more physio sessions at Overdale. I then recovered some movement of my left leg and arm and my core started to improve.

I have continued to improve and can now walk a few steps with a frame and my left arm has practically returned to normal. Still a long way to go.


The JBTC has been a great help to me, they have helped in giving me the enthusiasm to continue. The monthly meetings are also a great help talking to other people in my position. I realise now that I am not the only person having suffered a brain tumour.


Jersey_Brain_Tumour_Charity-logo (1).png

First Floor Office

60 Halkett Place

St. Helier



01534 510867

The Jersey Brain Tumour Charity is registered with the Jersey Charity Commissioner with Charity Number 136, as an NPO with the JFSC (No 0774) and is a member of the Association of Jersey Charities (No 388).

Jersey Brain Tumour Charity is a local charity which provides high quality practical and emotional support & information to anyone affected by a brain tumour diagnosis. Our services are free & confidential.


Marketing & Website by Gibson Strategy

©2021 Jersey Brain Tumour Charity